This event has been filled. Please return to our classes page to see our other upcoming classes. Please subscribe to our newsletter
for updates about future courses as they are scheduled.
This Calgary workshop is designed for electricians, technicians, engineers, solar installers, and sales people.
Class participants should have prior knowledge of:
- Electrical terminology and electrical equipment
- Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Laws and the relationship between energy and power
- Solar Photovoltaic module electrical I-V curve characteristics
- Grid-interactive solar photovoltaic system sizing and equipment
The class includes the following learning objectives:
• Identify various battery-based solar PV system configurations
• Evaluate site conditions and electrical loads for solar PV systems with energy storage
• Choose battery-based solar PV system configurations to meet specific requirements
• Interpret specifications for major components of battery-based solar PV systems
• Specify major components of stand-alone and grid-interactive solar PV systems to meet site conditions and performance criteria using energy storage
• Specify the Balance of System (BOS) components of battery-based PV Systems
• Apply appropriate sections of the Canadian Electrical Code to battery-based solar PV system design
• Interpret schematics of battery-based solar PV systems.
• Evaluate site conditions using shading analysis tools and software (demo only)
• Conduct performance modelling of battery-based grid-interactive solar PV systems using System Advisor Model (SAM) Software.
• Conduct optimization of battery-based stand-alone solar PV systems using HOMER software
Participants are required to have a laptop with the course software (SAM and HOMER) loaded; Participants are encouraged to bring copies of the current Canadian or Alberta Electrical Code.
Upon completion students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Solar Energy Society of Alberta.
Friday 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Saturday 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
Sunday 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
By registering for this class, you are agreeing to SESA's Cancellation Policy
. Please read the Cancellation Policy before purchasing.
Please see the attached document 'Instructor Biography' for more information on Instructor Eric Smiley's background, credentials, and experience.
Available Funding for Course Costs
Industry employees and employers, please see the attached documents on available funding to apply for the Canada-Alberta Job Grant.